Careless use of firearm, etc.
86(1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons.
Contravention of storage regulations, etc.
(2) Every person commits an offence who contravenes a regulation made under paragraph 117(h) of the Firearms Act respecting the storage, handling, transportation, shipping, display, advertising and mail-order sales of firearms and restricted weapons.
(3) Every person who commits an offence under subsection (1) or (2)
- (a) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment
- (i) in the case of a first offence, for a term not exceeding two years, and
- (ii) in the case of a second or subsequent offence, for a term not exceeding five years; or
- (b) is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.
Elements of Careless Use of Firearm