Practical Issues to Address – Factors from Section 34 – In Plain English
Describe the type (nature)of the force used
- Pushing, slapping, closed fist, threats etc.
- Number of strikes
- Duration of incident
Describe how dynamic was the situation
- Sudden and violent, vs. slow and simmering
- Were options other than violence pursued
Describe the person’s role in the incident;
Did any parties use or threaten to use a weapon?
Describe the size, age, gender and physical capabilities of the parties involved
Is there a history between the parties?
- Previous incidents Reported/Unreported, nature of these incidents
- Describe the nature of the relationship
- What were the events leading up to the incident
Was the use of force proportional to the factors of the situation?
Did (or may) any of the parties claim self defence, defence of property
- Objective facts in support of claim
Keywords: Self Defence